Monday, September 7, 2009

Walking Wing's Island

Walking Wing's Island


This morning I took my 8 year old son for a nature walk on the trails behind the Museum of Natural History in Brewster, MA. If you follow the trail, you will end up on Wing's Island, and island surrounded by salt marsh and mudflats (during low tide). We walked through the marsh, all the way to the mudflats and the beach. It was beautiful, sunny, warm, and peaceful. My son and I spent some time exploring the flats, finding hermit crabs, minnows, and snails. One small snail made the return trip with us. My son named him Jeffrey, and plans to keep him as a pet. I don't have the heart to tell him the snail will probably not make it through the day in the little tupperware container that is now its home. My son asked me, "what do snails eat"? I have no idea, but I'm guessing it won't matter much in a couple more days.





If you're ever on Cape Cod, you should make a point of going to the Museum of Natural History in Brewster. Today we did not go into the museum itself, but we've been in there before and it's very interesting. Today we just walked the trails and explored the mudflats at Wing's Island. It's a nice little break from the everyday hustle and bustle of life, and it gave me some one on one time with my youngest son who will begin 3rd grade in a few days. These are the days I want to treasure before they're gone forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment